Tuesday, 24 July 2012

 

The Perfect Dirty Martini

 

As with my taste in humour, I like my martinis dry and dirty.

The dryness of a martini refers to the amount of vermouth used in the drink, with a very dry martini having little or no vermouth.

Noël Coward once said that a perfect martini should be made by “filling a glass with gin, then waving it in the general direction of Italy” (which along with France are the two major producers of vermouth), meaning the less vermouth added to the gin the better the resulting drink.

And a dirty martini contains a splash of olive brine.

Here’s how I mix mine...

You will need:
  • A chilled martini glass (a few minutes in the freezer does the trick)
  • A splash of dry vermouth (I like Noilly Prat, mainly because its name is so silly)
  • A large shot of your favourite gin (or vodka, if you prefer)
  • Olive brine to taste (that's the clear, salty juice that olives are bottled in)
  • Ice
  • A cocktail shaker
  • Green olives to garnish (you can use a twist of lemon rind, if you prefer. I won't judge)
Add the vermouth to the martini glass. Swirl it around. Toss it out. (It's best to stand downwind of dinner guests when doing this. Aim for a sink.)

Pour the gin (or vodka), olive juice and ice into a cocktail shaker and shake until chilled (for the fitness conscious, simply holding the shaker while running at 12 km/h on a treadmill will accomplish this, too).

Strain into the vermouth-coated martini glass (or directly into aforementioned dinner guests' mouths, if this is round #3 or higher).

Skewer the olives onto a cocktail pick and drop them into the glass (or rub the lemon twist around the rim and then drop into the glass) as a garnish.

Ahhhh...

20 comments:

  1. 10:10 am in the morning and I'm craving a Martin instead of coffee. Thank you. :-P:-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rahul, I am at work and I feel like have a Martini now :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not even Friday yet....lol :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Came across Martini's stand on a shopping mall 2 days back :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Educational, hence I appreciate the post. No cravings to report:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Humm tastes better. Pour me a glass

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a bartender, but that martini sounds so good - because it's made by you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rahul.. I don't drink else I'd have absolutely loved to try your recipe to a T :-). Please share anything else you prepare too :-). And this was funny. :-) Glad to read a post from you. Have a great day there Rahul! Harshi

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes and what about those who don't drink?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm... I followed your receipe but since i am not fan of gin used vodka (grey goose) instead, turned out pretty good. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you'd want to avoid the lemon twist..unless you want to take away the "dirty" from your Martini and clean your glass at the end too! Only a neat freak like Mr. Uno Who, would suggest that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now share your recipe for a Bloody Mary for the morning after why don't you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will bookmark this link coz I cant remember wts in here... and make it on go ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Humm , good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow cute raqhul khanna also can cook we never know

    ReplyDelete
  16. Recipe for Virgin Mojito?:)A big favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds very tasty. But I am from small village with elder council members who will force harsh punishment on me if I am found with alcohol. Such punishment will make me unmarriageable. So I simply replaced all ingredients with orange juice. Very tasty and safe for me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I live in the small town of putakuddi and am having difficulty finding a chilled martini glass or the vermouth or the cocktail shaker. I cannot even find anyone in town or any nearby town who knows what these things are. One man did show me how to get ice. I think I should stop visiting your blog. I mainly came here to rub myself to your back photos. Thank you for that, even though I was punished by village men and can never get married now.

    ReplyDelete